Michael, a graduate of University of California Hastings College of Law in San Francisco, has been practicing in Marin and Sonoma Counties for over 35 years.
Michael has earned an outstanding reputation as an attorney experienced in his litigation and transactional practice. He has counseled clients on matters as diverse as family law (divorce, child custody & support); real estate development; business entity formation, operation, and termination; acquisitions and sales of businesses; attorney-client fee disputes;FINRA arbitrations and estate planning.
Michael served as a regular and successful settlement conference Judge Pro Tem in both family law and civil matters for over 20 years. In addition, he presides over numerous arbitrations and has trained arbitrators in almost every county in the state.
Michael has served as Chairperson for several committees:
- Chairperson of the Sonoma County Bar Association Fee Arbitration Committee
- Chair of the State Bar of California Mandatory Fee Arbitration Committee
- Chairperson of the Marin County Bar Association Client Relations Committee
- Sonoma County Bar Association Family Law Education Committee.
He is a former Trustee of the UC Hastings 1066 Foundation and currently a Master with the Edward J. McFetridge American Inn of Court.
Michael has also been involved in Rotary for over 30 years, serving in many capacities, including, but not limited to, Rotary Club President, District Governor and District Director for the Rotary Foundation Permanent Fund.
Michael is Past Chairman of the Board and a current Director of Rotaplast International, Inc., a program providing free cleft palate and cleft lip surgeries to indigent children and has led teams to Argentina, Venezuela and Egypt. Rotaplast has operated on over 15,000 children since the program’s inception.
Michael is a sought-after speaker on numerous legal and humanitarian-related topics.
Michael J. Fish’s Associations
- Director and former Chairman of the Board, Rotaplast International, Inc. (2003-Present)
- State Bar of California Mandatory Fee Arbitration Committee (2002-2010, 2018-Present; Chair 2006-2007)
- State Bar of California Mandatory Fee Arbitration Assistant Presiding Arbitrator (2008-2010)
- Marin County Bar Association, Board of Directors (2008-2010)
- FINRA Dispute Resolution, Inc. (formerly NASD and NYSE) – Arbitrator (1997-2000); Chair Arbitrator since 2000
- Marin County Bar Association (1985-Present), Client Relations Committee Member, since January 2000, Chair 2000-2008, Vice Chair 2008-2009
- Sonoma County Bar Association Mandatory Fee Arbitration Committee, Chair (2015-Present)
- Edward J. McFetridge American Inn of Court ~Master~ (1998-Present)
- UC Hastings 1066 Foundation, Board of Trustees (2008-2010)
- Director, Ameribanc, Inc. (Oregon & California) (2003-2006)
- Director, Sequoia National Bank (San Francisco) (2000-2002)
- Marin County Bar Association, Membership Committee (2000-2003; Chair 2002-2003)
What People Are Saying About Michael J. Fish
Darryl Horowitt, Business Trial Lawyer, Mediator and Arbitrator, Coleman & Horowitt, LLP
I worked with Michael as an arbitrator and found him to be thorough, thoughtful and professional. I would recommend him as a neutral and attorney (if you needed an attorney to represent you in litigation).
Karen Long, Lab Services Manager at Planned Parenthood
Michael has a great deal of experience and expertise in family law in Marin County. He is well-respected by his colleagues and the judges in the Marin County Courts. He is very competent at arguing in court for his client. He is prepared and is assertive in setting forth his case. He deeply cares for the people he serves, particularly the children. He advocates for victims and their families.
Russ Ketron, Managing Member at Ketron Financial, LLC
I have used Michael for Estate Planning Services for my clients and have been very pleased with the quality, timely legal work and positive feedback from those clients.
David Pitchford, Relocation Project Manager
When you engage Michael’s service, you have hired an attorney that is knowledgeable, inventive, personable and works diligently to provide you with the best results imaginable. He has been a “silent partner” in our business and I would highly recommend him to anyone needing solid advice on a many business decisions.
Jill Sperber, .JD, CFE, Program Manager, Business Conduct Office at- Visa Inc.
Michael Fish’s professional services are cost effective, results oriented, reliable, and strategic. His work ethic, ability to work well with clients who are under stress, and attention to detail make for a winning combination. He makes special efforts to keep his client informed of significant developments in the case and respects the client’s bottom line.