Johanna has been certified as a Family Law Specialist by the California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization. A Public Interest Scholar and graduate of Golden Gate University School of Law, Johanna also holds a Master’s Degree in Business Administration from the University of San Francisco’s McLaren School of Business and a B.A. from Pomona College. Prior to entering law, Johanna was Vice-President at CMP Media in San Francisco, California, where she managed a multi-million media portfolio.
Prior to joining Merrill, Arnone, Jones LLP, Johanna was managing partner of Kleppe Family Law & Mediation, P.C., serving families and children involved in the legal system. As both a litigator and a mediator, Johanna helps her clients navigate the sometimes complex and often confusing world of family law. She applies her problem-solving skills to a range of legal issues, including dissolution of marriage, child custody disputes, family reorganization, child and spousal support, pre- and post-nuptial contracts, parentage cases, grandparent and third-parent rights, guardianship petitions, domestic violence, and step-parent adoption. Early in her career, Johanna served on the legal referral panel for juvenile dependency in San Francisco and served hundreds of parents and children facing the California child welfare system. Through this work, Johanna recognized that most families, regardless of income, face all-to-common challenges: interpersonal conflicts that interfere with family relationships, mental health challenges, substance abuse problems, post-traumatic stress, coparenting conflicts, and more. Throughout law school and after, Johanna volunteered at the Family & Children’s Law Center in Marin County, California. She is currently a board member for the Center.
Johanna’s hallmark is to combine compassion with fierce advocacy for her clients. The result is an attorney who is dedicated to supporting her clients through stressful and challenging times while also connecting them with other professionals who complement her services: therapists, co-parenting counselors, financial planners, and more. Johanna prides herself on being hands-on, accessible and meticulous about ensuring her clients receive the attention they deserve. Every client is unique and Johanna works hard to find a resolution that fits her client’s dilemma. Cookiecutter approaches do not belong in family law.
Johanna B. Kleppe’s Associations
- Certified Family Law Specialist, California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization
- Current Chairperson and Past Vice-Chairperson, Family Law Steering Committee, Sonoma County
- Graduate, National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Child Advocacy Skills Program
- Current Board Member and past volunteer, Family and Children’s Law Center, Marin County
- Active Member, Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC)
- Family Law Liaison, Sonoma County Bar Association, 2019-2020
- Court-Appointed Family Law Minor’s Counsel, Marin County
- Active Member, Family Law Best Practices Committee, Sonoma County Bar Association
- Regular Attorney Volunteer for Marin County Superior Court Pro-Per Calendar
- Domestic Violence Legal Support Group Leader 2019-2020, The Living Room, Sonoma County
- Trained Mediator by Northern California Mediation Center, Rosenberg Mediation
- Past member, Collaborative Practice of Marin, Sonoma Counties
- Past member, San Francisco Juvenile Dependency Panel
Johanna practices in Marin and Sonoma Counties.