Whom do you call when you’re facing an issue related to aviation law?
Many people contact their regular lawyer, but that would be a mistake.
Always hire an experienced aviation lawyer when faced with an aviation legal issue.
Aviation lawyers are more often than not, licensed pilots; some even have the experience of working as commercial pilots for major airlines in the past.
They have hands-on experience in aviation law and are better equipped to deal with complex aviation practices and regulations.
What is Aviation Law?
Aviation law is a branch of law dedicated to air travel, the safety of passengers and aviation business transactions.
The aviation industry is highly regulated, and aviation law can be extremely complex.
It covers all legal issues related to aircraft and aircraft operations.
Aviation law operates at the federal level and falls under the jurisdiction of different federal agencies such as:
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
- National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB)
- Transportation Security Administration (TSA)
What does an Aviation Lawyer do?
Aviation lawyers, such as our own Marlon Young at Merrill, Arnone & Jones (MAJ Law) have expert knowledge of the rules and regulations governing flight safety, aircraft operation, aviation regulations and airport security.
It is the job of an aviation lawyer to defend you in legal matters that concern the FAA and other federal agencies.
Here are 5 basic questions to ask an Aviation Lawyer before hiring them.
- Can you tell me about your background in aviation law? Experience counts for a lot in this field. An experienced aviation lawyer knows exactly what to do in your situation; their inside knowledge of the aviation industry and the federal agencies could help with your case. If you’re being prosecuted by a federal agency such as the FAA, for example, you will want to hire a lawyer who has worked with the FAA many times in the past.
- What types of cases do you normally take? What type of cases does the lawyer specialize in? Do they have the relevant experience or background that could help with your case? Are they really capable of handling a complex issue related to aviation enforcement?
- How do you plan to handle my case? Every case is different. The facts are different, as are the circumstances. You can’t have a one-size-fits-all defense for every case, especially when it comes to enforcement matters. The lawyer should give a very detailed and specific answer, such as how they would look into the actions and behavior of various agencies or people involved in your situation; how they would analyze the relevant radio communications and radar data and so on.
- Do you belong to any industry-specific trial association? It is not easy for a lawyer to get into an industry-related group or trial association. Only lawyers with a high level of expertise are offered membership by such organizations. Find out if your lawyer belongs to any such group.
- Will you be handling my case directly? When you hire an aviation lawyer, you should be working with them directly. What you don’t want is for your case to be passed on to another lawyer within the firm. Only the lawyer you’ve talked to about your situation should handle your case.
And finally, what should you look for in an Aviation Attorney?
Find a lawyer who has an excellent track record of winning positive jury verdicts for their clients in aviation lawsuits.
You should feel confident about your lawyer’s ability to take the case all the way through to trial or negotiate for a favorable settlement.
If you need to talk to an aviation lawyer in Santa Rosa, call our office at (707) 528-2882 to explore your legal options.